Subject: Re: Leica Alternatives
From: "Peter Jon White" <pjwhite@tiac.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 21:07:06 +0000

>   Not true.  The alternatives are the Canon 7s with lenses from 19 to
> 135, the Nikon SP with lenses from 21 to 135, and Contax IIA with lenses
> from 21 to 135.  All also have provision for longer lenses and Macro.

Oh please!

I think we're going off the deep end here. I don't know when the
Nikon or Contax was discontinued. I believe the Canon was gone by
1970 or so. But whenever it was discontinued, by then the other two
were long gone. Many of the lenses available have fungus growing on
them and still command ridiculous prices by collectors.

Sure, if you look long and hard enough you can assemble a useable
system among the cameras you mentioned. But very few people can
afford to use cameras that can't be serviced. And who has the time to
try and find all of the components? Old or new Leicas and lenses are
available everywhere you look.

Need a bellows? There are 15 or 20 advertised in Shutterbug each
month. Need a 200mm lens and a Visoflex? No problem. You can have it
Fed Ex tomorrow.

Canon doesn't make parts for the 7 anymore. I assume Nikon doesn't
make parts for the SP anymore, and Zeiss Ikon is only a fond and
distant memory to people with too much time on their hands. My M3
from 1955 can be rebuilt practically from the ground up with brand
new parts. Try that with the Contax.

So let's be realistic.

Peter Jon White