Subject: Re: Leica Alternatives
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 97 21:44:44 -0400

>Lipinski, author of the very famous book " Miniature and precision
>cameras" has made a screw by screw analysis of the Contax and concluded
>that its 'enormous mechanical complexity' makes it more susceptible to
>wear and dust.

Erwin,

From what I've read, the reson for the Contax shutter's complex design
was that Leitz patents limited the available options that the Zeiss Ikon
designers had.

On the other hand, the Contax rangefinder not only had a longer baseline,
but was considerably more elegant in design than the Leica rangefinder,
had fewer parts, was less fussy to adjust and was better at staying
adjusted. One thing that I always found impressive is that they used gold
instead of silver on the reflective surfaces inside the
rangefinder/viewfinder. Light that passes through a semi-reflective gold
mirror is green in color, light that is reflected is gold in color. In
the rangefinder spot, this gives you one greenish and one orangey image;
when the images coincide, the two colors cancel each other out and the
color casts vanish. If you are even slightly off in focusing, you can see
green- and orange-colored fringes on opposite edges of your subject. The
LTM cameras had optional, miniature colored filters for the little round
rangefinder windows, which did something similar.

I've used a IIIc at length, and I have a Kiev rangefinder that is similar
to a Contax III. If I had the choice between an LTM camera and a Contax,
the Contax would win, no contest. However, I'd choose the M-series
cameras over the Contaxes. It's unfortunate for Zeiss Ikon that they had
to spend a lot of their post-war development efforts basically getting
back to where they were before the war. I think that if Zeiss and Leitz
had had more evenly matched camera systems in the 1950s, the evolution of
the interchangeable-lens rangefinder camera would have been much more
interesting.

When I first started hearing about the Contax G1 I was pretty excited,
thinking that it would have an optical rangefinder.

- - Paul