Subject: Re: Poor Quality Japanese Glass
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 23:10:44 -0500

Jay

It's simple geography:  the Japanese just don't have the raw materials in
quantity, and so they import almost all of their optical glass.

I wasn't saying 'Japanese producers use crap to make lenses, as they lack
GOOD optical glass'.  I WAS saying 'the Japanese import almost all of their
optical glass'.

One interesting side note on this has been the recent work the Japanese
have done with plastic elements and with bonding plastic and glass elements
together.

Marc

Marc James Small
Cha Robh Bas Fir, Gun Ghras Fir!