Subject: Leica bashing on usenet groups
From: ghuczek@eagle.wbm.ca (George Huczek)
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 16:44:53 -0600

I have noticed that the rec.photo.35mm usenet newsgroup is showing a very
noticeable bias against Leica cameras.
   One of the most recent threads asks something to the effect of, "What
does the M stand for in M6?"  You will have to go read some of the nonsense
people are writing. I understand from discussions here about 2 months ago
about cross-posting, that I should not quote some of the objectionable
messages verbatim. There are definite racist and pseudolinguistic comments,
directed at the fact that the camera is made in Germany. There are also some
strong anti-war sentiments that go back as far as WWII, even though similar
sentiments to not seem to be directed to users of Japanese cameras.
   One Leica user, who also happens to frequent the LUG, got caught in the
fray and then the flame wars began. To be fair, I suppose that other Leica
users have also found themselves helplessly trying to explain the strengths
and the features of the leica rangefinders. (I do not wish to single anyone
out.) This becomes an almost futile attempt to try to defend a camera system
which should need no defense. I should add that very frequently the debate
for and against the Leica becomes passionate and very emotional. None of
what transpires after that has much at all to do with photography. It verges
on the absurd.
   This is nothing new.  It seems that the bias against Leicas, particularly
the rangefinders, is based on its price, its attraction to collectors, and
on the fact that it has not changed much in its design philosophy over the
years. Other camera users degrade the Leica primarily on the fact that it
does not have some of the bells and whistles that seem to be packed into
most 35mm SLRs today, which are sold for considerably less in most cases.
   Someone on the newsgroup also tried to ask a reasonable question. That
person wanted to know something about how new Leica 35mm f/1.4 and f/2
lenses compare optically. Another flame war erupted as soon as the name
Leica was mentioned.  The thread dealt once again with Leica bashing instead
of lens comparisons.
   That is one of the reasons why I have turned to the LUG for information
about Leica cameras.  The newsgroup bias has become very objectionable to
me. There is no use trying to reason with the flamers. Both sides seem so
deeply entrenched in their positions that they are not swayed by reason, but
by the passion of their personal convictions. Brand name loyalties seems to
rise to the extreme whenever Leica is mentioned.
- -GH