Subject: Favorite Film/Developer/Paper Combinations
From: Ian Stanley <ian@mos.com.np>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 1997 09:02:04 +0545 (+0545)

>I'm getting back seriously into B/W again only to find that I am not
>familiar with the current lineup of Films/Developers/Papers the way I
>used to be.
>
>I would be very interested to hear of favorite combinations using
>today's mediums--but also please include WHY it is a favorite.  Trying
>to evaluate "GREAT RESULTS" is pretty difficult unless it is compared to
>something else.
>
>For instance, has anyone sorted out the old guard of TriX and HP5 vs
>Tmax vs Delta?
>What is superior under what circumstances?  WHY?
>
>Thanks All,

Stephan,

        I suppose that all of us are always looking for the ultimate
combination of film, developer and paper.  The combination that I am using
now is the result of testing many combinations and the need to simplify my
requirements as I can't run down to the corner photo shop to pick up what I
need.  What I use now is TRI-X 35mm & 4x5, HC110 Dil. B, and Zone VI
Brilliant VC.  I started using the Brilliant VC when I set up my darkroom in
Nepal.  Before I always used Brilliant graded paper but I thought it would
be easier to stock VC paper instead of all sizes and grades of graded paper.
I use a Zone VI 5x7 enlarger with a VC head and am pleased with the results
so far.  The VC paper took me a while to get used to but I am finaly getting
the system down and the prints are looking good.  Like Robert, I am looking
forward to trying the new Brilliant graded paper and hope to pick some up
this summer when we are on home leave.  Maybe I can talk the family in to
donating the use of one of our suitcases to bring a lot back.

        Although what I use is determined to some extent of availability I
have found that I am very happy with this combination and I now know the
capabilities and potential of the materials.  I know that when I place a
certain value in the field that it will be represented accurately in the
final print.  I know my film speeds, development times, and the potential of
the paper.  All of this makes the artistic side of the process much easier
and more repeatable.

        Robert, I would be interested in hearing from you once you try the
new Brilliant paper!!

Ian Stanley

Kathmandu, Nepal