Subject: Re: A Parting Shot
From: Claes Bjerner <claes.bjerner@pi.se>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 97 17:16:53 -0000

Bob wrote:

>As for comparing the camera to a firearm, the difference, IMHO, is that =
the
>photograper doesn't really aim a camera;

Nevertheless, let=B4s not forget that our cameras all too often are =
regarded as extremely dangerous and hostile "weapons" - not to say =
the most dangerous - by the bad guys in modern civil wars. During all =
previous wars I covered as a news photographer I was never once shot =
at for being a photographer. We were simply out with the troops where =
the action was - looking like soldiers. Nowadays the snipers are =
aiming especially at us photographers. Their new rule is to  first =
knock off the cameras - then they can start the real atrocities. They =
have finally learned that our pictures might be used as evidence in =
eventual war crime tribunals. And our pictures will definitely also =
seriously hurt their "image".

This knowledge has taken the fun out of war coverage. But have no =
doubt that our presence is more important than ever.

Claes