Subject: Re: still more shutter delay nonsense
From: fconley <fconley@macconnect.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 97 00:00:28 -0400

I'd like to back Harrison up on this. In not only news and sports
shooting, but in modeling and some studio work as well I have found that
the Canon EOS system lenses focus amazingly fast and accurately. I think
that in terms of covering fast moving sports like basketball and
football, the delay you should worry about is not the camera's response
time, but your own realization of what is happening. Many a time I have
looked at the series of negatives produced around an excellent shot while
using a motor drive and have noticed my manual focusing catching up with
the action. Sports photography is highly instinctual, and I've found that
if you simply let your eye and trigger finger do the work, you'll be
amazed by the results. There are many a football picture in my portfolio
that I didn't "see" consciously enough to describe the scene that I was
going to photograph, but my mind knew when to take the shot.

I've also found this to be true with relatively slow paced work like
modeling shoots. I shoot in a very loose style, with a great deal of
participation on the part of the models. There's a moment when it all
looks right, and I simply take the shot. It's just a process that happens
in a part of the brain that works faster than our consciousness.

The mechanics of the camera, I have found, play little part in the
process of my taking pictures. I learn whatever system I have, whether
it's a Leica, a Nikon, or a Canon, and those mechanical details fall
quickly away when I'm actually in the process of shooting. Like Harrison,
I tend to manual focus action. But I do so not because the autofocus
isn't fast enough, but simply because my mind is often more aware than my
consciousness of where I need to focus, and if I just let my brain do the
work it knows how to do, things come out better. The restriction of
autofocus is that it makes you think a little more about your shot so
that you can actually show the camera where you need to focus. With
systems like the EOS, the lenses follow focus, and focus fast enough to
easily accomodate a five-frames-per-second motor drive (an 10 fps on the
new EOS-1N). Unless you buy a really cheapo autofocus camera, focusing
speed should *not* be an issue, no matter how fast the action you're
trying to capture is.

My two cents. ;)

- --Frank