Subject: The Photographer's Persona
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 22:42:12 -0500 (EST)

Ladies and Gentlemen,

WHO ARE WE? At rock bottom, after we have cast off our social, artistic and
professional uniforms, who are we?

Are we that neutral invisible someone -- the unseen hand -- that the viewer
knows was there but who remains anonymous? And why were we there? Who gave us
license to be there? We arrive just in the nick of time, with an instrument
with which we immortalize others but remain outside the scene ourselves.
Never mind the excuses that we are relatives, or were hired, or just happened
to stop by. We were ready and there.

So what possesses us? Are we reporters? Are we voyeurs? Are we perpetual and
curious outsiders? Are we witnesses in some event before history?

You might say we're no different from the average guy who takes shots of his
family and then is photographed in turn by his relatives. He's not the fellow
I'm referring to. I'm speaking about that individual who always carries a
camera -- or can get one quickly -- and who is consistently THERE.

He could be a soldier, a hack driver, a sibling, whatever -- but the camera
he always has handy singles him or her out.

For that matter, is it important that we discuss this subject?
Or is it mindstretching? Do we need any special awareness of our motives to
make us better at our avocation or dedication?
Are we a force of nature? Why do we find an instantaneous image fixed
permanently so satisfying?

Bob