Subject: Re: M4 purchase advice needed
From: Henry Chu <doctorc8@entertain.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 12:46:59 -0700

Kim Sherman wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm looking at purchasing a chrome M-4 (my first M body--I currently have a
> CL w/40mm and 90mm lenses) , serial #1192020 from Ken Hansen photo.  Ken's
> asking $1050 for it, and it's in Exc+ (his grading) shape.  I have the
> camera in-hand, and there are very few rub marks (some around the strap
> lugs, but no big deal); a small piece of leather is chipped off on the back
> just above the film dial.  The film advancement is louder than that of my
> husband's M2-R, and it's not as smooth.  Ken tells me it would cost about
> $100 to have the camera overhauled  completely and about $120 to have the
> leather replaced on the full body.  Given the fact most M4s I've found are

Kim,

I just had an M4 that had been sitting around for over 20yrs overhauled
by John Van Stelten for $150.  The slow shutter speed was sticky and the
advance was a bit rough and the viewfinder was a bit cloudy.  Now it is
functioning impeccably.  If the missing vulcanite is indeed small, I
would just fill it with a bit black wax or gutta percha.

Or, an alternative would be to get another M model, e.g. M4-2 or M4P
(which has the 28mm finder lines).  For $1200 you should be able to get
a "minty" user.

Henry