Subject: Re: M Winder
From: Ted Grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 06 Apr 97 10:06:42 EDT

Frederic wrote:
""I'm considering the purchase of an M winder.""

From my experience with winders purchased on two occaisions, (didn't learn my
lesson after the first one) they will be interesting to use the first couple of
times, then the  new toy factor wears off and you'll put it aside, eventually
wondering, "why did I buy that damn thing?"

I dare say, I thought I would have lots of applications in my shooting as a
photojournalist, but it became more of a burden than asset from the noise, the
extra size compared to the other 2 M4's at the time, it just seemed to be hung
on the shoulder and rarely used, eventually becoming a dust collector in the
equipment cabinet.

Now that was my experience (twice) and there will be people here who will defend
it to the sky and that is their right.  But unless you are using only one camera
and are prepared to accept the noise (an M6 and other M's are supposed to be
unobtrusive, they're nearly silent) the size and your camera sent to Leica for
fine tuning with the motor, then either invest in another lens you always wanted
or buy film and shoot more stuff. As the motor on an M camera is just a toy and
defeats what the camera was made for.    IMHO and experience in the working
field.

ted
Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant