Subject: Re: Lens Variability
From: "Charles E. Dunlap" <cdunlap@rupture.ucsc.edu>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 12:00:39 -0800

>All,
>
>A question: how much does lens performance vary from sample to sample?

I've noticed variability in the coatings on recent 90/2.8 lenses from
Solms. I sent two back to B+H before I got one that did not have flaws. If
quality control is sometimes lax on coating inspections it might also be
lax on lens element alignment or grinding. Leica isn't perfect. The
machining and assembly is only as accurate as the workers make it, and
sometimes they have a bad day.

- -Charlie

              Charles E. Dunlap
         Earth Sciences Deptartment
          University of California
            Santa Cruz, CA 95064
Tel.: (408) 459-5228    Fax.: (408) 459-3074