Subject: Re: Summaron 35mm f3.5
From: ireland@blazenet.net (Robert Brummett)
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 13:54:21 -0400

>Greetings,
>
>        When I was in Singapore I bought a Summaron 35mm 3.5 (1958 according
>to the Leica pocket book) because it was in pristine shape, reasonable in
>price and I just liked the looks of it.  I don't know a thing about this
>lens so I have a couple of questions:
>
>1.  From what I have been able to find out so far the spectacle finder is
>for the M3.  Should I just remove this for use with the M6 and M4-P?
>
>2.  What kind of results should I expect from this lens?  I haven't shot
>anything with it as yet.
>
>Ian Stanley
>
>Kathmandu, Nepal

Ian-

I, too, have a 35 Summaron in "pristine" shape. I had used it for B&W but
never for color and--against all precepts!--used it for some color
transparencies on a trip, only to discover a kind of foggy aura over all of
the slides. Very disappointing, but I got what I deserved for not checking
it out better. That adventure sent me searching for a 35/2 Summicron and
testing the two side by side was a revelation. The difference was very
dramatic, with the Summicron giving me crisp, contrasty negs and the
Summaron the same milky looking, flat stuff. I am NOT making any blanket
statements here: only stating my own experience with an apparently clear,
minty lens. Take this for what it's worth and test your own Summaron
against known lenses--as I should have in the first place! Good luck.

Robert