Subject: Complications of automation
From: uskanb2n@ibmmail.com
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 16:03:13 EDT

Roger Suppona wrote:
>A short stint with a Nikon 8008s taught me how important it is to
>have equipment that doesn't get in the way.  While my M4-P is simple
>and unobtrusive, the Nikon was complicated and intrusive.  I've long
>advocated it's the glass that matters.  Now I'm convinced that while
>the glass is the major component, the body has to be a tool that
>isn't a distraction because of complex operation or shoddy
>construction.

Seems like when I had an 8008 I spent half my life over riding the meter's
aperature/shutter speed selections and getting the AF to focus on the right
plane... The fiddeling neccesary to make the automatic features work, just is
not worthwhile compared to the simple process of deciding on exposure,
focusing, framing, and exposing the picture...
Likewise, for me the technical process focuses my attention on the act
of making a photograph... composition, what will the depth of field do
&c. While I have missed my fair share of photos while I have dealt with
the tech. bit, that usually is only a problem when I start out with the
camera still in the bag...

                                               - john Lowther