Subject: What 50mm STM Lens To Buy?
From: db <boise@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 10:52:05 -0400

Richard,

>>As some of you have read, I recently got a 1932 Leica Standard.  It works
fine too.  The lens that was attached to it was a Summar 50mm f2.0 with
some scratches and no coating.  I am looking for a good 50mm collapsible
lens for my "new" Lei ca that is affordable.  I do't care if Lei ca made a
zillion of them.  It will be a user lens.<<

I too use a Leica Standard quite frequently, 1939 vintage.  Perhaps one of
the first lenses to look for is a screwmount 50mm f/3.5 Elmar.  They are
ubiquitous, having been produced by Leica in the greatest number of any
lens.  They typically can be found at reasonable prices in any condition
from junk to mint.  The 50/3.5 Elmar is reasonably sharp with nice
contrast.  The later coated versions do quite well with color film and
flare control.  The 50/3.5 Elmar is a collapsible lens and will allow you
to keep the Standard very compact, more so than a Summitar or 2.8 Elmar. I
also find that a 35mm f/3.5 Summaron is an excellent choice.  The finder of
the Standard show a fair bit more than the 50mm lens will see and very very
close to what a 35 will see.  Both the 35 Summaron and the 50/3.5 Elmar can
be found easily and at reasonable prices (if there really is such a thing
for anything Leica).

>>Is the 50mm collapsible Elmar f 2.8 the screw mount thread lens to get
for the Leica Standard?<<

You'll pay a lot more than your entire camera, current lens, and any
accessories you might have are worth for a 2.8 screwmount Elmar.

Regards, Don