Subject: Re: Message VS Medium--It Ain't the Camera
From: Ted Grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 08 Apr 97 19:26:25 EDT

Claes wrote:

<<<you name one single really great photographer in the World who received a
formal theoretical education in photography?

Talent is something you either have, or you don't have. You can't just learn
it!>>>>>>>

Hi Claes,

The first comment is sure a very tough call, as I doubt the "great names"
remembered and revered by most of us were basically self taught and motivated
because of an inner self.

The Photo schools of to-day, the sources of information available on computer
and libraries sure weren't around when I started. I just wanted a camera and to
be a photographer simply because I was driven by an inner feeling. And to have
that become a reality, my wife bought me a camera, a 35mm Argus A2 and that was
the beginning. After the second roll I knew this was what I wanted to be and was
going to be. :)

I have never had formal training and generally what I have seen (( many many
portfolios of graduates))  and heard of some photo schools, they teach the
mechanics of photography which anyone can learn, however no matter how good a
school it is, they can't teach the gut feeling that drives some of us.  It is a
born with instinct, much like a killer instinct that sorts out the schooling
folks from the "shooting with feeling folks"

Their students do the work technically correct and learn how to run a business
and graduates are generally successful, simply because they produce an in focus,
technically correct exposed image and the wedding/commercial pictures look fine.
And nothings wrong with that!

But attending a photo school does not guarrantee one will be a great
photographer, ala HCB, Capa, Ralph Morse, and many of the great shooters we look
up to.

I think Stephen is some what off the mark about attending a school, as I figure
if somebody wants it bad enough and they buy and shoot lots of film, read photo
magazines and books and try all those photo excersises in the publications,
combined with an inner instinct that person will develop into a a good and maybe
great photographer.

As far as I'm concerened if one has the feeling, "force", gut wrenching drive of
being a successful photographer they will be,  without spending a day in a class
room and like me will end up lecturing about what it takes to be a well
published photojournalist.

And most important! Doing exactly what you want to be and being successful,
simply because you love with great passion what you do!

Hey I'm going on, sorry!

ted

Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant