Subject: Re: Message VS Medium--It Ain't the Camera
From: Oddmund Garvik <garvik@i-t.fr>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 97 16:12:51 -0700

I'm the 'Eye in the Sky', I couldn't leave you completely...

I don't think 'learning to "do" business is the hardest photographic skill
there is', but never mind. I must be born in another world.=20

More interesting is the position of W. Eugene Smith who used to tell how he
every day learned new things about photography. (I j=F6sse namn, Claes
Bjerner, nu kommer jag att f=E5 p=E5 p=E4lsen ig=E4n!)=20

I was a communist at the age of fifteen. I learned drawing in a school some
years later, and I studied Social Anthropology. But I learned more about
photography working as a carpenter, as a sailor, as a cook on an oil rig, as
a fisherman in Greenland, as a school teacher, as an Army officer and UN
observer, as a NGO volunteer in Africa. I also learned a lot in the Louvre
and in the Prado, staring at paintings for hours.  =20

Watching television is not very good for photographers, I think, and I try
to avoid it. But tonight I saw a Japanese (NHK) reportage about the images
made by the photographer Yosuke Yamahata in Nagasaki, August 10 1945...just
115 photos. I learned a lot of this as well.

I am a 'concerned photographer', I am not a good businessman. I still learn
something every day. I think it is important to find your personal way, your
own version. This takes time, perhaps a lifetime. Life is a complex story
and it is difficult to know exactly why and how it becomes your life. There
are no rules.

Oddmund