Subject: Post from Nikon Digest
From: Alistair_Stewart_at_LC4001@ccmailgw.mcgawpark.baxter.com
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 10:40:11 -0500

- --IMA.Boundary.522377068

I hope that the group find the message below, pasted form the latest
nikon digest, of interest.

Alistair

Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 09:30:02 -0700
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@cdsnet.net>
Subject: Nikon a p.j. camera?

>I thought a flexible, TTL viewing/shooting/metering, autofocus
>camera like, uh, Nikon, would fill that need. What am I missing?

As every one in the world knows, Nikon is the most used pro camera hands
down. They have been losing ground over the past decade, but they still
are
the overwhelming choice. But to the question at hand, those features are
all useful and important. But for a photojournalist, there are times
when
you want to be discrete. A quiet camera that doesn't have a flipping
mirror
making noise is ver helpful. The M6 does meter through the lens, and it
shoots through the lens, so I don't quite know what you mean.

AF? Well, it's great for sports, but that is a minimal part of true
photojournalism. Not that we don't do a lot of it. It's a major part of
my
job, because of the hours I work. But that's not classic photojournalism
where the camera can become intrusive. AF is actually not terribly
useful
in many situations. And since few of Nikon's lenses are silent wave,
they
do make some noise in the focusing process. It's not bad, better than
Canon's as a matter of fact. But Nikon is still refusing the recognize
the
value of the AF-S line for anything besides driving heavy, long lenses.
Let's hope they come around.

It's not that Nikon's are top notch, and very useful for
photojournalism.
Right now, that's all I've got! But for the classic fly-on-the-wall,
quiet,
inobtrusive camera that is compact, reliable and doesn't die when the
batteries go south, a manual rangefinder can't be beat - no matter who
makes it. It's not for nothing the David Allen Harvey leaves his Nikons
in
their Halliburtons in his hotel room (just in case) while he shoots
whole
essays for National Geographic with one small classic rangefinder camera
with a 35 f/2 lens, and a 50 f/2 in his pocket for a few of the
exposures.
He told me so himself.
- - --
Eric L. Welch