Subject: B&W Printing Papers
From: ireland@blazenet.net (Robert Brummett)
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 14:48:20 -0400

Dear LUGers-

Some time back we chatted a bit re tools & methods and I mentioned a
fondness for Brilliant papers, as formerly marketed by Fred Picker at Zone
VI. The original Brilliant was a wonderful, smooth-toned, silver-rich paper
that was a delight to work with. What happened to it? Like so many fine
materials over the past three or four decades it is "no longer
manufactured." For a while Zone VI marketed a "Brilliant II" paper that was
actually made by Ilford. My needs were such that I had to stock up on the
VC version of this as well as some grades. Then Zone VI went with Calumet
and last year (I think it was) they announced the "return" of Brilliant. I
had so much of the other stuff that I couldn't justify any new paper at the
time. But I have just finished working with some of the new Brilliant Grade
3 paper. (Ian Stanley, are ye listenin'?) Keep in mind that I have only
printed about 20 sheets of the stuff, but my first impression is that it is
very good indeed. That old scale and brilliance seems to be back and prints
from proper negatves seem to fall out of the enlarger onto the paper. The
prints have that sense of presence that I have been missing since the old
Brilliant went to its reward. I just got off the phone with Calumet after
ordering some more in G2 and G3.

If you're looking for a fine paper, I suggest trying a 25-sheet pack of
this new Brilliant paper. (Calumet can be reached at 1-800-225-8638--and,
NO, I have no commericial relationship with them of any sort except they
take my money from time to time!)

With the frequent disappearance of high quality materials for the serious
image-maker, it behooves us to throw a little support behind a good
product. Your mileage may vary, but from where I sit right now it looks
like this new Brilliant paper is a fitting partner for those nice crisp
Leica negatives.

Robert