Subject: Re: B&W Printing Papers
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 23:39:16 +0100

>One of the prime difficulties in finding 'good' b&w printing papers is that
>the production of such is an environmental disaster.  Thus, large-volume
>producers such as AGFA and Kodak have been forced to reduce the silver
>content in their papers to comply with environmental regulations, and this
>has led to greyer blacks and muddier whites in a lot of papers.

I do not have any figures about the actual silver content in papers old and
new, regulated or not.  I do have, however, sensitometric values from my
densitometer. I must say that all modern papers (fiber based and RC coated
(Kodak, Agfa, Ilford,Guilleminot and Oriental)) I have tested (when
developed in top class paper developers)  got deep blacks around D= 2,20
and clean whites around D=0,05. These values are in the same league as any
readings I have collected from the papers produced in the seventies and
even earlier.
Deep black is generally equated with densities around D=2,10 to D=2,40.
Grey black is normally positioned around D=1,70. Every paper I know of can
easily surpass this value. Only papers with a nonglossy surface are around
D=1,60 and could be interpreted as grey black.
That grand master,Ansel Adams, reported in his books the same values and he
was quite critical about the blacks and whites.
So I have no factual evidence that the silver content of the newer papers
is less than it used to be and if this were the case then the correlation
between silver content and the visual impression of 'blackness' is less
straight forward  than proposed.
Erwin Puts