Subject: RE: Virus Alert -- I hope you are right, Jim!
From: Martin Omlin <omlin@eawag.ch>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 15:42:13 +0100

If you don't believe Jim, you may read the information at

www.symantec.com/avcenter/hoax.html

Martin Omlin

At 07:18 AM 4/17/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I hope you are right, Jim.
>There is a chance to down load a virus with just the text file if you use
programs like Word or WordPerfect to read the message and the messages
includes macros.  For example, I read me e-mail using Microsoft Office 97
Outlook and Outlook uses Word 7 to read me e-mails.  When the text calls
for exercising the macro it could happen.  You see the macro IS what you
EXECUTE. For that reasons Word 7 gives you a 'Virus Alert' warning message
if you start the program by double clicking a document that you want to
re-load.

>It's too bad, but we have to face that we live in a rather sick world!
>
>Regards Jorg

Martin Omlin
Computer and System Sciences Department        e-mail:  omlin@eawag.ch
Swiss Federal Institute for Environmental
Science and Technology (EAWAG)
Ueberlandstrasse 133                           fon:     +41-1-823-5597
CH-8600 Duebendorf, Switzerland                fax:     +41-1-823-5398