Subject: Re: Toners and Leica Glow
From: Krzysztof Szecowka <szecowka@ch.wssk.wroc.pl>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 11:21:24 +0200

snip--------------
> My Olympus mju-2 has the "glow" as well...with a 2.8/35mm lens, 2-zone light
> metering, switchable to spot metering, AE range from EV 1.0 to EV 17 (F2.8
> at 4 sec. - F11 at 1/1000sec), weatherproof, normal price in France about
> $160-170. It is my 'always-in-the-pocket-camera', and it is so small that I
> sometimes have to look after if I still have it!
>
> My point is not that Leica make bad cameras and lenses! But I think that
> Leica products are overpriced and overestimated. And I know that you may
> obtain similar, sometimes better results with other cameras, much cheaper,
> as solid as, or more solid than the Leicas.
>
> Photography is more than a camera and a lens. First you need brain glow,
> heart glow and glow in the eyes. At the end comes the alchemy, where the
> circle once again joins the brain, the heart and the eyes. A good image is
> something very complex and mysterious. It has a universal message and is
> capable of making people anywhere laugh, cry, smile, or revolt.
>
> Oddmund

I completely agree with you, Oddmund. I have made some excellent
pictures with Olympus Mju-1. All the friends from photographic society
laughed at me: "how could you admire such a plastic 3 elements lens". I
have also some glowing pictures shot with Nikon 80-200/2.8 lens. I was
caught in Leica trap selling all my Nikon equipment and buying Leica
R5&R7 with three lenses. I don't regret it. The pictures look great and
I have also appetite for M6 but I don't have enough money. As a
substitute I bought Contax G1 and really admire the results achived with
45/2 Planar lens. I agree that Leicas are overpriced, but lovely to use.

Krzysztof Szecowka