Subject: Re: M3 Advice
From: R Yan <yanr@asiaonline.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 09:27:47 +0800

It is nice to have an old camera and lenses inherited to the
grand-children. If the engraving does not affect picture taking and its
quality, leave it as it is to show respect to your father, since you want
to keep it for sentimental reasons.

$600 can buy you another good modern electronic point-to-shoot camera.

Robert Yan
Hong Kong

At 07:28 PM 4/18/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I am new to this list but would like someone's advice.  I inherited my
>father's M3 with 50 mm f:1.5 Summarit lens, 90 mm f:4 collapsible Elmar lens
>and off-brand 135 mm f:4.5 Culminar.  Unfortunately, he used a cheap
>engraving pen and engraved his name and license number on the body and all
>lenses.  Leica wants about $600 to bring body and 2 Leitz lenses back to
>factory specs.  I want to keep it for sentimental reasons, perhaps pass it
>on in the family but....what's the opinion of you more knowledgeable folks
>about spending the $600?  Even at my level of knowledge, I would love to
>possess a truly useable Leica but not sure if putting the money into more
>modern medium format equipment OR a newer Leica would make more sense.  I'm
>just a hobbyist, not a pro, and I would really prefer having medium format
>equipment.  I really would appreciate your thoughts....thanks so much.
>
>Frank Weir (Frank46@cris.com)
>

> 03:02 PM 4/18/97 -0400, you wrote:
>>so how/where can we get these old ones???
>>
>>On Fri, 18 Apr 1997, Lucien_vD@compuserve.com wrote:
>>
>>> On March 22, 1997 Adisak Soon Wai Hoe wrote:
>>>
>>> <How many versions of the M6 brouchure have appeared?? So far, I have only
>>> <seen the 3 latest ones.
>>>
>>> As far as I know : 11
>>>
>>> Leitz Wetzlar : 1
>>>
>>> Nr: 110-186 Frz (910 242) size H= 20cm W= 21cm
>>> IX//84/AY/W (French)
>>>
>>> Leica Camera Solms: 10
>>>
>>> Nr : 910384 (english) 910385 (french) 910383 (german) size H= 28cm W= 21cm
>>> VII/88 (july 1988)
>>> VIII/89
>>> XII/89
>>> VI/90
>>>
>>> Nr : 910 461 (english)  910 433 (french)  size H= 21cm W= 10cm
>>> IX/91
>>>
>>> Nr : 910479 (english) 910480 (french) 910478 (german)  size H= 28cm W=
21cm
>>> VI/92
>>> VIII/93
>>> IV/94