Subject: New collapsible Elmar-M, old collapsible Summicron
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 13:39:04 +0100

Gerard Captijn <captyng@vtx.ch> writes
>I bought the Elmar a couple of months ago to have a really compact M6 to
>take on business trips (the camera loses 16 mm in thickness after collapsing
>the lens, same thickness as the GMP grip). The Kodachrome slides that I made
>with the new lens were beautiful with superb microcontrast. The lens handles
>fine although I like the even spacing of the aperture values on other Leica
>lenses better: resolution between f11 and f16 is really small. If you don't
>need the collapsing feature, you might be better off though with the
>Summicron 50mm/2.0 that offers twice the speed at approximately the same
>price.

If you need both the collapsing feature _and_ the speed, there isn't
much choice- there is only the old collapsible Summicron. If you need
the collapsing feature and are considering both speed and optical
quality, choosing between the collapsible Summicron and the new Elmar
may not be easy. I would be very interested in any comparisons between
these two lenses.
- --
JB