Subject: Re: Meterless M use
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 08:36:58 -0700

At 07:52 AM 4/23/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Ben..is this a "sunny 11" rule? Why do you give the extra exposure?
>

>>Just remember: Plus-X at f8 & 1/250 in direct sunlight will always bring
>>home an image.
>>
>>,/8^|

I'm not Ben but I can answer this. The "Sunny 16" rule was invented for
transparency film (Kodachrome) where you MUST NOT overexpose the
highlights. Your highlights would be washed out. The sunny 16 rule is based
on highlight exposure. B&W film needs more shadow exposure. There's a
little more latitude in B&W film so giving the shadows more, normal (maybe
slightly-) development, and you bring the total image home. This extra
needed is about one stop.  There's an old photographers rule for B&W.
Expose for the shadows, develop for the highlights. For an average sunny
situation, this equates to about a "Sunny 11" rule.

Jim