Subject: Re: Gossen lunasix
From: Steven Blutter <sblutter@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 05:56:15 -0500

Hal Robinson wrote:

> Hi, I found a gossen lunasix at pawn shop today.  I go to all the local ones
> every month or so, and sometimes you get lucky.  Today I did!  Anyways, I
> have it, and all seems to work fine, but I need a little help.  There are
> two buttons on the right side.  One is white and the other is black.  On the
> top there is a piece of plastic that slides to allow more light in.  I know
> it has something to do with indoor, outdoor etc, but as it has no manual,
> knowing for sure would help greatly. I would really appreciate it if someone
> would email me privately and help me figure this sucker out.  I am used to
> my simple old Weston!!!  Thanks, Hal
>
>         Hal Robinson
>         sparky16@ix.netcom.com
>         Columbia, South Carolina
>

> >                             (`.-,')
> >                            .-'    ;
> >                         _.-'  ,`,-
> >                   _ _.-'     '  /._
> >                 .' `  _.-.  /  ,'._;)
> >                (       .  )-| (
> >                 )`,_ ,'_,'  \_;)
> >         ('_  _,'.'  (___,))
> >          `-:;.-'

the slide on top is for direct or incident reading.  leave it open to
read light directly reflected off of something (pointing the window at
the object.  the other, incident is to take a reading of the light
shining on an object or scene.  here you point the meter at the camera
from the object.  i use both, especially in high contract scenes to
build a 'consensus' exposure.
i shoot interiors professionally which can be lit very dramatically
(think of a dark restaurant bounce filled but leaving the designer's
lighting scheme intact) and your client is actually the carpeting
manufacturer.
use the incident to see how much light is shining on the carpet, and the
direct setting (window open) to see how much light is coming off in the
direction of your lens.
the side buttons are simply high/low light.  on my lunasix if your
conditions put you at the boarder of high/low and you get confliciting
readings - go with the reading from the upper end of 'low'.
btw, international camera repair in Chicago did a fantastic job
calibrating mine (though i don't recommend them for Leicas).
good luck, i've had great sucess with that meter for 20? years
steven blutter