Subject: Re: Hg batteries
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 08:09:37 -0400

At 09:37 PM 4/24/97 -0700, Dennis  wrote:

>Excuse me?  you are saying that the photo stores banned the 625 mercury
>battery?

Go to your nearest full-service camera store.  Speak with the OWNER or
GENERAL MANAGER.  Ask him or her whether they would have wanted to
participate in an exchange system.  (That is, a system where there was say,
a $10 deposit on each mercury battery and you weren't allowed to buy one
without turning one in.)

As the owners of my local store said, 'We pay our employees to sell things,
not to protect the environment."  Besides, by killing mercury batteries,
the sale of new cameras and accessories was INCREASED, a neat piece of
planned obsolescence.

Marc

Marc James Small
Cha Robh Bas Fir, Gun Ghras Fir!