Subject: 50mm Summicron's
From: Steve Kobrin <kobrin2@xman.wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 08:45:19 -0400

The recent discussion about 50mm lenses has gotten me interested in a newer
50mm for my M3.  (I currently use a collapsible Summicron.)  The impression
I get from the thread is that the newer lenses show a marked difference in
contrast, if not in overall resolution.  In that context, what does "newer"
mean?  Which of the various models of Summicron 50mm that have been
produced since 1955 really do represent a significant improvement over my
collapsible (assuming a clean, haze free lens)?  Which represents the best
cost/quality trade-off?  Are there used "new" Elmar 2.8s on the market?

Sorry if this has been covered before and I missed it. Any advice would be
appreciated.

Steve