Subject: Re: Shattered Reputation?
From: "Jeff Segawa" <segawa@nospam.netone.com>
Date: 25 Apr 97 09:11:55 -0700

On Thu, Apr 24, 1997 9:35 PM, Ted Grant wrote:
>The R8 is brighter without question against the R7 in the image you are
looking
>at to photograph. And we did a test with a brand new Canon EOS1n and the
R8 and
>with identical apeture lenses and the R8 was hands down on the Canon for
>brightness.

This may or may not have anything to do with it, but Minolta seems to have
improved their Accu-Matte viewscreen technology, and the "D-type" screen
that I tried out on a Hasselblad did seem wonderfully bright and easy to
focus. I've had similarly good luck with Beattie Intenscreens, versions of
which are no doubt available for older R-series cameras. At the time, I
didn't have a spot meter or any means of measuring viewscreen brightness,
but if I had to guess, I'd say that the Beattie screen was at least a
couple of stops brighter than a normal acrylic screen. And for historical
interest, I've been able to measure the difference in brightness between an
old-fashioned (circa 1966) ground glass + fresnel screen versus a late '80s
acrylic (not sold as bright-anything), and found the acrylic to have far
more even illumination, and to be anywhere from 1-1-1/2 stops brighter,
depending on what part of the screen was being measured. I do not
especially favor screens with microprism or split-image anything, and in
any event, the modern, bright, viewscreen should very clearly reveal images
"snapping into focus", far more so than lesser screens.

Just a suggestion from the low-income portion of the Leicaphile spectrum
:-)
Jeff