Subject: Re: Leica M 90mm
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 97 23:45:14 -0400

>Does anyone have any comments about the comparative subjective qualities of
>the f/2.8 Leica-M lenses (not Rokkors or any made for CLs).  I'm looking for
>a lightweight, very high quality lens for use with B&W film.  Thoughts?
>Price is not an issue but I'm not interested in paying a premium for a
>collectible.  TIA

Curt,

Take a look at the 4-element f/2.8 Tele-Elmarit. It is about the size of
a 50mm Summicron, only slightly longer. This lens was made from about
1974-1990; as far as I know, they are all black and all Canadian. They
don't get any smaller than this. It should be the least expensive of the
f/2.8 90mm lenses, since it's realatively recent (but not current), not
too old and not especially rare.

I traded one of these when I got a recent 90mm Summicon. I love the
Summicron, but sometimes I miss the small size and light weight of the
older lens. I was always very happy with the quality of this lens; I used
it for about 15 years.

I was surprised at Leica's new f/2.8 90mm Elmarit-M; the Tele-Elmarit
offered a very different alternative to the Summicron if you didn't want
the speed; the new lens is almost the same size and nearly as heavy, so
between new 90mm lenses the only real issue is price.

The 90mm Tele-Elmarit uses the same lens hood as the older-mount f/4 135
Elmarit and Tele-Elmarit do; if you use 35mm and 50mm Summicrons, the
90mm Tele-Elmarit and one of the f/4 135 lenses, you can share filters
between them all and only need two lens hoods between the four of them
(12575 for the 90mm and 135mm, 12585 for the 35mm and 50mm).

There was an older, 5-element version of this lens, normally referred to
as the "fat" Tele-Elmarit. This is not considered to be as good as the
4-element version, and is somewhat bigger and heavier and is more
expensive because of collector interest. This lens looks kind of like an
elongated 50mm Summilux in shape; it's a fat cylinder that tapers at the
end. The "fat" lens had a removeable lens head; the 4-element lens has a
fixed head.

The 1960s f/2.8 90mm Elmarit is also a pretty good lens; I have been
using the lens head of one on a Visoflex. It's quite a bit longer than
the Tele versions, however. There is also the older collapsable f/4 90mm
lens; this lens has a good reputation, but I don't know anything about it
first hand.

- - Paul