Subject: Re: Leica M 90mm
From: orath@astral.magic.ca (Otto Rath)
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 21:35:43 -0400

>Curt,
>
>Take a look at the 4-element f/2.8 Tele-Elmarit. It is about the size of
>a 50mm Summicron, only slightly longer. This lens was made from about
>1974-1990; as far as I know, they are all black and all Canadian. They
>don't get any smaller than this. It should be the least expensive of the
>f/2.8 90mm lenses, since it's realatively recent (but not current), not
>too old and not especially rare.
>
>I traded one of these when I got a recent 90mm Summicon. I love the
>Summicron, but sometimes I miss the small size and light weight of the
>older lens. I was always very happy with the quality of this lens; I used
>it for about 15 years.
>
>I was surprised at Leica's new f/2.8 90mm Elmarit-M; the Tele-Elmarit
>offered a very different alternative to the Summicron if you didn't want
>the speed; the new lens is almost the same size and nearly as heavy, so
>between new 90mm lenses the only real issue is price.

Perhaps the Leica marketing gurus know, that people like impressive-looking
lenses (penis envy?)
or it's just another "must have" lens.

>There was an older, 5-element version of this lens, normally referred to
>as the "fat" Tele-Elmarit. This is not considered to be as good as the
>4-element version, and is somewhat bigger and heavier and is more
>expensive because of collector interest. This lens looks kind of like an
>elongated 50mm Summilux in shape; it's a fat cylinder that tapers at the
>end. The "fat" lens had a removeable lens head; the 4-element lens has a
>fixed head.

 Sorry, a hairsplitter: the " fat"  Tele-Elmarit (chrome or black) was a
true tele-construction
with a fixed head as well.

>The 1960s f/2.8 90mm Elmarit is also a pretty good lens; I have been
>using the lens head of one on a Visoflex. It's quite a bit longer.

I love this one and sometimes use the lenshead via a Novoflex LEIMAR
adapter and Novoflex bellows on
my Nikon from infinity to closeup.

- -otto-

otto w. rath, 504-633, northcliffe blvd. toronto on. M6E 3M3 canada (416)
783 5128