Subject: Re: Good Bokeh
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 04 May 1997 22:40:11 -0700

At 09:25 PM 5/4/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Camera Techniques ran 3 articles in its last issue on the mysteries of
>"bokeh", what Japanese photographers are now referring to as the out of
>focus areas in a picture.
>   They are catching on to the notion of the "Leica glow" it seems.
>Anyway, the article suggests that the 35mm Summicron is the "King of Bokeh"
>much better than the 35mm Summilux or the 35mm aspherical.  Where do they
>get anything to substantiate such claims? It this based on subjective
>evaluation, or can "good" and 'bad" bokeh be measured?
>   They do give some examples to show how some lenses produce a double
>image in the out of focus region, and how others produce a softer out of
>focus area in which subject matter is softer but can still be inferred from
>the photographer because of its smoothness.
>   I would have thought that the 35mm aspherical would have been considered
>better, since it outperforms the 35mm Summicron at large apertures.
>
>-GH

GH,

As they state, quite clearly in the article, Bokeh CANNOT be measured. It's
subjective. It's more like an emotion. It's discussed in Japanese lens
reviews. It's revered by Japanese photographers. There are many types of
Bokeh, two-line, ring, circular, long and narrow, point...etc... etc. You
can also have too much Bokeh. Bokeh is something in tune with the Japanese
culture. People not brought up in a Japanese culture may never be able to
fully understand or feel Bokeh. We may try, but I believe it's somewhat
futile. The fact that we want to measure it and analyze it states clearly
that we don't understand it. Perhaps it can be learned if we get rid of our
analytical mind set. Of the western cultures, perhaps the French have the
best chance of understanding/feeling Bokeh... IMHO.

Jim