Subject: Re: Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH quality
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Mon, 5 May 97 23:21:49 +0100

The resolving power of
>most good lenses is greater than the eye can detect without the aid of a
>microscope AND process film. I DO NOT THINK IT IS POSSIBLE to detect any
>possible TECHNICAL difference that there MIGHT be between the Nikkor and
>Leica lenses on color print emulsions. Or even current E6 films. The
>possible resolution of both exceeds the color coupler globule size and
>therefore is not easily detectible.
Definitely not true. The best photographic lenses resolve at a maximum of
about a 140 linepairs/mm (cycles/mm). But then the contrast is so low you
do not discern any detail. The best attainable definition is about
80lp/mm, which is twice as high as most optical firms aspire for at the
moment. The Summicron-M (new version) has a benchmark limit in the centre
of 125lpmm of which maybe 60 to 70 can be recorded on film.
In order to see clumps of grain you need a resolution of 125lpmm, to see
individual grains you need 1250lpmm and to see dye globules you need
12500 lpmm!
Lenses for chip wafer production resolve 5000lpmm!
The new Kodak colour films with APS technology incorporated can handle
200lpmm.
So lenses need to improve very much to cope with this resolution.
By the way. The seemingly disappointing results with the Summilux ASPH
could be explained by not using a tripod. The very high quality of the
ASPH can only be detected when excluding all image degrading influences.
Hand held shooting being the number one cause.
Erwin Puts