Subject: Re: New collapsible Elmar-M, old collapsible Summicron.
From: captyng@vtx.ch (Gerard Captijn)
Date: Mon, 06 May 1996 13:06:24 +0200

>>At 06:30 PM 5/5/96 +0200, Gerard Captijn wrote:
>>
>>It is interesting that Leica was able to improve the Tessar-type design
>>further as the general opinion of the optical community was that the
potential of
>>the design has been realized.
>>
>>Gerard
>
>Can you provide a source for this statement?  I believe Zeiss, at any rate,
>has felt that new glasses and computational techniques have made the Tessar
>capable of quite a bit of further development.

I had a discussion with an optical designer from Schneider at one of the
former Photokina's where he made above statement. His line was that so many
optical designers have invested so much time in improving this basically
simple design during the last 60 years (at the time) that all that
potentially can be obtained is there by now. He felt that there were just
not enough surfaces and lenses to work on to obtain the best possible image
quality at large apertures. According to him, the future would be for
high-aperture Gauss designs. Some time later I read an article about lens
design in the 20th century that confirmed above opinion. I would have to go
through my papers to give you the exact source.

I makes sense that as new glass and new calculating methods are developed,
the limits of the Tessar design will be extended (which is precisely what
Leica did with their new Elmar 50mm/f2.8).

Gerard Captijn,
Geneva, Switzerland.
E-mail: captyng@vtx.ch
Fax: +41 (22) 700 39 28