Subject: "Leica Clones"
From: "Richard W. Hemingway" <n5xrd@telepath.com>
Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 14:28:15 -0500

LUGS,

Just received my Vol. 30, No.1, First Quarter 1997, issue of Viewfinder.  I
was reading the article on Leica Clones by Mr. Jim Roy appearing on page 42,
and find this in the last paragraph of the article:

        "Today only E. Leitz Wetzlar makes rangefinder Leicas, and seldom in
Wetzlar. Reportedly the SLR's are generally produced in Prtugal, the M
series rangefinders in Midland, Ontario.  Only a few protogype bodies
and some lenses are made in Wetzlar due to high labor costs."

Am I missing something here???I thought M were made in Solms (Germany at
least) and also the R's???  This statement looks several years out of date -
why???

Dick Hemingway
Norman, OK