Subject: Re : Zeiss & Leica Lenses
From: Lucien_vD <Lucien_vD@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 07:33:46 -0400

Sorry my first message was send before it was finish (Compuserve !!)

Michael wrote:

<The rubber hoods are, in my opinion, quite good, and better in fact than
<most.

** I agree, but to big (large) and not convenient in a bag, the same for
the metal hoods.

<The lens bayonet appears very robust (regardless of material), =
<and I have had no problem with blade reflection, nor have I heard about =
<anyone else who has.

**I had several blade reflexion with the 85/1,4, specially in situation you
want to use your fast lens.

<The lack of a lens orientation mounting "button" on Contax lenses is a =
<great frustration.  Something that I sorely miss.  But, when it comes to =
<bodies, until the R8 came out a few months ago, there was no comparison =
<between the capabilities of the RTSIII and any R body.  (Just my opinion =
<folks - back in your seats).  Even today, without the winder and motor =
<the R8 is hampered in such a comparison.

** I agree, except that the shutter dial on the RTS II was  (I don't know
on the RTS III) on the wrong side of the camera, it was not easy to focus
and to change the speed.
The Program mode is better on the R7 (shift).

 <Of course lens price comes = into any comparison issue in a small way as
well.

** Yes, but I don't know the situation in the USA, but in Belgium there is
no market for second hand Contax body and lenses. And a RTS III & the R8
(without winder) are at the same price new, but after a few month, try to
sell your Contax or your lenses ...

** Conclusion : My point in discussing the Leica R lenses (and M also)
Versus others is that, in my opinion, the Leica lenses are made by people
who really care about photographer, who really think about real
photographic situation, who want to make the best lenses possible for the
period, regardless the price, I'm affraid, and the weight.

It was not the case for the camera body, after the R4 (1980) (only the
Canon A1 had better specification in that time) and before the R8 (1996),
but I think that it was more a problem of lack of cash in R&D.

Ah ! a F5 with Leica lenses and help for the focus in the viewfinder and
information from the lens about the focusing for the flash. I hope that whe
will see that on the R9.

Lucien
BELGIUM