Subject: Darkroom Chemistry
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 11:46:54 -0400

Some of us on these lists have recently been pilloried as techno-freaks,
and the charge is undoubtedly apt.  Perhaps there's a meeting, though, of
glass-head and artiste in the subject of darkroom chemistry.

I mix almost all my own chemistry.  Only when the formula is proprietary
(Ilfochrome, RA-4) do I buy the kits.  (I do all my own darkroom work save
for E-6.)  Mixing your own both saves substantial sums (allowing the likes
of me to buy yet another lens book or accessory) and allows the use of some
unavailable formulae, such as the fine Crawley mixes.

Larger camera stores stock the chemicals.  Many of the chemicals are
available commercially.  Pat Dignan used to sell chemicals, then he closed
shop.  Zone V was the ultimate source for 'mixing spoon' chemistry, but
they also folded.  That leaves Photographers Formulary, a fine outfit in
the cold wilds of the Great Plains.  They sell both raw chemistry and
premixed kits which are not commonly available, such as Rodinal and D-23.
(The Rodinal is only available in 6.5 gal and larger sets!  Bring on that
T-Max!)

I got a complete set of literature from Zone V while they were still in
business, and this helps.  Photo Lab Index is another good source:  the
publication is often available at camera shows for $15 or $20.  Mine's
updated through 1976, so I'm already to do E-4!

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!