Subject: Beginner's luck
From: uskanb2n@ibmmail.com
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 14:17:48 EDT

Justin wrote:
 >  I am a recent addition to this group.  I have just returned from
>China, where I studied at a Chinese University, and became interested in
>photography.
>
>   Upon returning home, I decided to upgrade my system -- moving
>from a Konica T3 to a Nikon N90.  That was six weeks ago.  Yesterday, i
>sold my Nikon because it was too automatic -- I felt like I lost control
>of my pics.
>
>  I will return to China in August to teach english and work on my
>photograpy, perhaps to become a professional.  Can anyone help me justify
>spending a lot of money on a Leica M or R system.  Many have told me to
>stick with Nikon.  Have collectors really pushed the price of Leicas well
>over their value?  Are there limitations to the systems versus Nikon's?

I would recommend a few things:
1. If you are seriously considering buying an M series camera, rent one
for a few weeks because it does take a lot of getting used to. Very fast,
nearly silent, but limited to 21 to 135mm lenses.

2. Whether M or R, buy used. A little bit of cosmetic wear, especially
on M cameras and lenses (but on R too) will result in their costing
hundreds of dollars less than their new equivalents. Further, equipment
engraved by previous owners are often excellent buys, hundreds of
dollars less than in collectible condition.

3. (This is hearsay) On Rs either buy R4Sp or newer or drop all the
way back to the SL. (The SL2 is good too, but collectors have run
up the price)

4. Shoot some black & white and blow them up to at least 8x10 inches. The
difference in the quality of Leica vs Nikon lenses shows up most dramatically
in black & white. At least if they are well printed. It may be harder to
discern if you don't have a skilled B&W printer. If you don't see the
difference, go buy a Nikon FM2, which is a very good mechanical camera.

                                                 - John Lowther