Subject: Re: Unscientific lens testing (somewhat off topic).
From: Dinu Lazar <office@graph.eunet.ro>
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 00:34:37 +0300

> The results were startlingly obvious, even in simple 4"x6" prints from the
> local 1 hour joint.  The Tamron and MTO were very close, with a slight edge
> in detail going to the MTO; but the Vivitar was, at best, blurry - even in
> the small 4x6 print!  I suppose that is to be expected, for new it was just
> over 1/2 the cost of the used Tamron!
>
> I bought the MTO, despite it's bulk, because of the superior performance,
> reasonable price tab and the funky wooden case it came in (complete with 4
> - 77mm filters!).

Try to make a picture with a uniform object - a wall, a sky, and you
will see 2 stops difference between corner and center of image, if do
you use this bulky tele.

> Three questions, for those who are still reading...
>
> [1] Though engraved as a 500 f8 on the lens, the addendum sheet with it
> says it's a 548mm f8.8.  Is this sort of variation normal?

Is normal; Russians makes REAL measurements with every MTO lens, and
marked this.

> (2] All three lenses, as well 500/8's by Minolta, Leica, Nikon and my
> 1000/11 Celestron all focus to beyond infinity.  Does anyone where know the
> reason Mirror lenses do not have an infinity stop?

Temperature: when is very hot, infinity mark go over infinity at -10F.

> [3] The MTO results were virtually as good as the Nikkor's or Celestron's.
> Yet the booklet lists resolution as "Central - 32 lines/mm" and "Peripheral
> - 20 lines/mm".  The MTO seems much better than such numbers would
> indicate.  Can anybody tell me why?

You must make a lot of pictures, real pictures, not only tests; MTO is
very, very good for his money, but...try a white wall...

I have a Tamron; is 4 times more compact and is better that MTO - no
fall-of at corners.

Best regards,
Dinu Lazar
with a lot of pictures at: