Subject: Re: Re[2]: Leica R 6.2
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 19:12:28 -0700

At 12:13 PM 5/21/97 PST, you wrote:
>     Hi,
>
>      How would you compare R6 or R6.2 with Leicaflex SL or sL2?
>
>     Regards,
>     David

There are three things that an R6.2 has over the SL & SL2. 1.) Mirror
lock-up [I will not own an SLR w/o mirror lock-up.] 2.) Interchangeable
focussing screens [I cannot use screens with the center clear circle,
microprisms, & pseudo split-image focusing. This stuff is useless to me! I
use a plain, bright screen with a grid to help align the horizon &
verticals.] and 3.) half shutter speeds [a godsend for bracketing.] The R6
doesn't have half shutter speeds but has 1 and 2.

I know you didn't ask for this, but I cannot hold back. The garbage in the
center of standard focussing screens is really in the way. It's rare that
you focus on something dead center. The center stuff doesn't participate
when stopping down to check depth of field. It simply goes black. When
using long lenses, the center prisms go black. My first camera was a
Rolleicord (1950.) My second camera was a 4X5 Graphic View II (1959.) My
third camera was a Hasselblad (1962.) Perhaps you see why junk in the
middle of a ground glass bugs me. With my Alpa's, while visiting the
factory in Switzerland (years ago, the 70's) I had them change the screens
to plain screens. Junkie screens and no mirror lock-up are a couple of my
pet peeves.

Jim