Subject: Leica 21mm, f 2.8 lens
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 10:57:27 -0400

Dear Fellow LUGnuts,

I have been using the 21mm, f 2.8 for the past four years.  It contunues to
impress me with the tack sharp images.  But the best part of using this
wide angle lens is using the hyperfocal distance for quick images.   Under
bright conditions and Tri-X film, I just set the hyperfocal distance which
gives me focused images from infinity to about 2 feet.  Its the closest
thing I have used that is better than a point and shoot.  The supplied lens
shade is large but helps to decrease flare from stongly backlit images.
This lens is relatively resistant to flare but is merkedly improved with
the lens shade.  The plastic finder I use for it has served well - but I am
also not that tough on my equipment.  Sometimes, I don't even use a finder.

There is a very interesting photo book called, "shots from the hip" by
Alias Johnny Stiletto.  It was published by Bloomsbury in Great Britain in
1992.  Interesting book and worth a look.  He reports that camera images
are more forceful when taken with the camera about waist high.  Its a
little difficult to kneel all the time in public - so he recommends just
holding most cameras at waist high and shoot away.  Great images and he
makes significant images.  Makes me laugh every time I see them.

Finally, I sold my older version 28mm M lens toward the purchase of the
21mm.  Has anyone had experience with the current 28mm lens.

Happy shooting,

Richard Clompus, OD
West Chester, PA, USA