Subject: Re: M6 & Infra-red
From: joe berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 01:10:16 +0100

FKemper@aol.com writes
>Definitely a Leica M6 is not designed to use IR film
>(It lacks focus correction marks, for example).

All this discussion of black & white IR film with the M6 has got me. I'm
going to try it out. But just one point- the lack of focus marks on
Leica lenses does not indicate that the cameras are unsuitable for
infrared, but only that Leica felt that the markings were misleading
since they were accurate only at infinity, so they stopped using them.
In Osterloh's Leica R guide (sorry I can't remember the exact title) he
explains all this and gives the formula for calculating the exact
refocusing required for different distances. After I read that formula
that I realised I would be very content with a smallish aperture and
using the dof to cover the difference...  ;-}
- --
jb