Subject: Re: Dupes from colour negs
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 29 May 97 14:32:05 EDT

<<< Please tell me more about having slides made from colour negs.  I have
always shot chromes when I thought that the finished work would be used for
publication.>>>>>>>

Hi Ian:

I guess the quickest way to make a testimonial for the neg to transparency is to
say that "All Sport" which is the worlds largest sports stock agency use this
neg-transp for the bulk of their client servicing when covering the Olympics or
other international events.

The photogs shoot colour neg and then slides are produced to allow shipping
copies to all their clients world wide. And if they do this, as I understand is
becominga practice of other agencies or magazines, one must assume it works as
they can't jepordize their reputation for poor quality image re-production.

I've had slides made several times from colour negs where I was concerned about
colour balance.  Shooting the neg material you don't  have to be too worried
about colour balance as that can be corrected during the slide production.

It also means you can shoot at higher ASA with the neg and not have to lose
shutter speed due to adding colour correction filters.

The quality of the slide depends on the lab producing them and I use a pro lab
here in Victoria who do it either from negative to slide or sometimes if it
needs a bit more tweeking, they do it through a computer scan to slide.

<< Where do you get the duping done and is the quality as
good as an original transparency? >>

The stock agency "Masterfile" which is Canada's largest agency have slides of
mine on file and have moved some of them that are created from negative film, so
I guess that kind of speaks for itself.

<<<We really do need to get together this summer.  My tickets are all booked and
we are looking forward to a holiday out of here.>>>>>>>>

Look forward to it, so keep me posted for dates so that if possible I can juggle
assignments around to fit your visit.  See you in the summer.

ted
Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant