Subject: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #487
From: henningw@archiphoto.com (Henning J. Wulff)
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 14:06:02 -0800

Ian Stanley wrote:

>>And with the duping quality for slides from colour negs these days, you can
>>almost work exclusively on neg film and have beautiful slides made that look
>>like original shot transparency material.
>>
>>ted
>>Victoria, Canada
>>http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant
>>

>Hello Ted,
>
>        Please tell me more about having slides made from colour negs.  I have
>always shot chromes when I thought that the finished work would be used for
>publication.  I can certainly see the advantages of working with colour
>negs especially these days as most of the research and development seems to
>be in that area.  Where do you get the duping done and is the quality as
>good as an original transparency?

In Vancouver here my local lab makes excellent transparencies from negs,
and he generally has some of the tightest tolerances I have seen. His E-6
generally runs no worse than 25% of Kodak's allowed tolerances (and he uses
a V-Elmar for the smaller sizes; he says it works better than all
purpose-designed lenses he tried). I get 35mm made from all sizes, and it
costs me $4.95CDN for the first slide from 35mm, and $7.50CDN from 120 or
4x5, and additional slides from both cost $2.50CDN. 4x5 transparencies from
any size neg are $18.00CDN for the first.

For architectural interiors this often works better than shooting on
transparencies initially. Reala and some of the other new Fuji professional
films are excellent for mixed lighting situations, and if the budget is
tight I cannot take the time to get full control over the lighting. So I
shoot my stuff on the largest format the client will pay for, part-filter
for the main lighting to avoid cross-over problems as much as possible, and
get transparencies made. They will almost always look better than original
transparencies shot at the same time, and I need to shoot only 1 shot, no
bracketing. If the client wants a lighter or darker shot later, no problem.

   *           Henning J. Wulff
  /|\     Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\      henningw@archiphoto.com