Subject: Re: Multiple bodies & bags, too
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 31 May 97 14:09:55 EDT

Kari wrote:

<<So why  counter this by hanging all sorts of other gadgets in you neck. Sure
you miss a few shots here and there because you don't have long  glass etc. but
the fact of life is that you always lose shots. If
you look like a christmas tree with multiple bodies dangling, you
loose a lot of them, in spontaneous situations anyway.>>>>>

Kari,

I don't and many others I know who use several cameras at one time, don't carry
them around to look like a Christmas tree and giving ourselves away to the
spontaneous moments.

If the assignment dictates the use of many lenses for the correct coverage of
what we are working on, then we carry everything that will allow for the success
of the assignment.

And if I'm working on a project that demands discreet and quiet, of course I'm
going to work with one M6, instead of three M6's, and the one will have a
Noctilux 50mm f.1. and a 35 Summilux f.1.4 in my pocket.

Of course there are the fools who walk around flaunting all they own just to
create a so called "image of importance" but they don't count as they usually
only have film in one camera. :) But hell do they look good! :) The neatest
looking Christmas tree you've ever seen. :)

<<<When you hang around in some perhaps not so secure neighborhood who knows
where how do you  protect your the gear you leave in the hotel? Have a
Halliburton  etc. and chain it to the plumbing?>>>>

Almost!  I use small battery operated alarms that I bury in the camera bag with
the alarm release cord attached to something solid in the hotel room. If someone
grabs the bag and leave or they move it, the cord immediately sets off a
screaming signal much like a smoke detector only louder and more ear piercing.
They are not going very far with it as it's inside the bag and by the time they
figure out how to get into the bag there are lots of people arriving.

Given that one day in a hurry I ran into the hotel because I forgot something
and grab the bag without thinking and set it off and before I could get into the
bag to turn it off there were hotel security people all over me. And some peed
off because I had scared the hell out of other guests. :)

The other caution is to make sure it is some place where the house keepers are
not going to move it.  As I had happen another day and fortunately I was in the
room at the time and got it turned off quickly.
But the poor lady almost went into cardiac arrest! :)  She never touched any of
my bags again for two weeks! :)

ted