Subject: Re: M3 Pressure Plate -Reply
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 12:57:57 -0400

I said:

>The change from glass to metal was because static electricity problems
>occurred in dry climates.  The retro-fit was common.

to which David Stedman responded:

At 06:15 AM 6/3/97 -0700, you wrote:

>Not a chance, I purchased the camera new in 1957 and still own
>and enjoy it.  It has had 3 CLA's since new, and the only thing that
>it's missing (or has been replaced) is the wax seal with a "L" in
>the top lens flange screw.

Well, then, who did the CLA's?  Leica will upgrade equipment without being
asked to, if it seems appropriate:  I have a very early M6 with the
blinking-diode feature which must have been added when the PO had it CLA'd
by Leica in '93.  He did not ask to have it put in.

I suspect your camera originally had the glass plate and it has been
replaced along the way, quite possibly without your knowledge.  Or are you
CERTAIN this is metal?  The glass plate is painted and therefore resembles
metal.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!