Subject: Re: Off topic: ALPA
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 11:35:11 -0700

At 10:43 AM 6/3/97 -0700, you wrote:

>Hello there,
>
>I know there are some ALPA users and collectors among us, so I am posting
>this here:
>
>Does anybody know how to distinguish a fake 10D from a genuine one? ALPA
>home page warns there are a lot of fake mint ALPA bodies surfacing lately,
>but don't really give a clue.
>What is a reasonable price to pay for a 10D with 1.8 macro switar and
>400/5.5 Schneider all in M- shape?
>Any experiences with this camera?
>
>Thanks
>
>Lucian

I'm not sure if they really mean FAKE. Perhaps made from several not so
good Alpas, using only the best parts from each. A couple of things you can
check. The serial number under the eyepiece should match the serial number
stamped inside the back cover, just to the right of the pressure plate.
There also is a factory plate containing the patent number inside the back
to the left of the pressure plate. The body of a 10d is machined out of a
chunk of metal. It is not cast. I have one of the bodies as it came out of
the mill. This is difficult to fake. I have run thousands of rolls of film
through my 10d without a single mechanical problem. The original foam that
cushions the mirror when it hits the top deterioriates and will need
replacing. The 10d is a great mechanical camera.

Jim