Subject: Re: in-camera metering
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 16:50:29 -0700

At 08:02 AM 6/3/97 -0800, you wrote:

>Recently on a shoot I took readings with two meters (incident), verified
>with incamera meter and shot a polaroid I liked.  At the lab I had to
>push the Astia one stop to get it to match the polaroid.   I moaned to
>lab owner (a super guy and ex-Kodak tech rep) who immediately said,
>"Polaroid's not accurate test of exposure."  So I said how about three
>meters and a polaroid which all agree?  "Well, I don't know. "
>
>I don't either.
>
>Donal Philby
>San Diego

Donal,

I have had an impossible time with Polaroid. It's not the cheap stuff
either. I use Pro 100 color. In frustration, I now use it only for
composition. It seems like you need a stop watch and a thermometer to get
consistent results. And they still don't match (exposure wise) the Velvia
that I mostly shoot. My incident meters are dead-on and I trust them. I
meter for the Velvia, cut the exposure in half, shoot the Polaroid, and it
looks crappy. So now I just check the composition with Polaroid and ignore
the color & exposure. Actually, recently, I've cut way back on the Polaroid
use. There is such a GIGANTIC difference between what you see on a
Polacolor print and what you see from a Velvia transparency, it's sometimes
un-nerving. I have _not_ shot something because of what I saw on the
Polaroid, only to kick myself later. When I visit a trade show, the
Polaroid booth always has great looking stuff. I must be doing something
wrong??? Maybe I'm expecting to much. This holds true with both my 4x5
Polaroid back and my NPC LEICA Polaroid back.

Jim