Subject: Old R28/2.8 vs. New 28/2.8
From: "Lamberti" <dataface@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 07:12:32 +1000

Hi Again,

I currently own an earlier R28/2.8 and have an opportunity to upgrade to
the new design with the built in lens hood.  My current 28/2.8 has served
me well.  Optically it is a cracker.  My only (very minor) gripe is edge
sharpness for objects focussed at about 2m or less.  I overcome this by
stopping down to around f8.

To the point, how does the new design fare against the earlier design.  I
understand that it has floating elements that offers improved close
focussing capabilities.  What about the overall performance.  My lens
exhibits virtually no flare or vignetting, for example.  Is this the case
with the current design ?

I may also consider moving to the 24/2.8 for the slightly wider angle of
view that it offers.  How does this fare against the current and earlier
model 28s.

Thanks,

Vince Lamberti