Subject: Noctilux
From: Bob Parsons <bobp@dodo.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 15:41:29 +0100

Harold wrote in reply to Frederic Silberman:

>I actually find the Noctilux very comfortable to handhold at slow speeds
>(successfully down to around 1/8. It rests very nicely in the hand and
>(perhaps because I have quite big hands) I actually find it easier to use
>than some of the smaller ones. For the same reason (as well as the added
>speed) I traded my Tele-elmarit on a Summicron 90 F2 and find that I can
>handhold the Summicron much easier than I used to the Tele-Elmarit.

>Hope this helps

>Harold

Here's an input from someone with small hands .. perhaps that's why I like
the Olympus OM series cameras so much <big grin>.

Like Harold I have no trouble holding the Noctilux to compose or take a
picture with slow shutter speeds.  I hold the camera in my right hand with
the third and fourth fingers of my left hand folded under the lens. My thumb
and first finger operate the aperture and thumb and second the focus. If the
situation allows I take several frames and pick the sharpest one. With speeds
between 1/8 - 1/60 there is always a sharpest one. If possible I go for the
fastest film to get the shutter speed up.

I don't find it very comfortable to hold the camera with one hand. Also it
doesn't carry very well on the strap, with a tendancy to tilt down.
I find it a lot easier to carry if I have a GMP grip attached with a strip
of foam on the inside of the handle. I just wrap the camera strap round my
wrist and wrap my fingers under the handle and let the camera hang down
vertically, ready for shooting.

Frederic, If you haven't already done so I suggest looking at previous posts
to this group, use the search engine at www.dejanews.com with "Noctilux" as
the subject. The lens does have certain optical characteristics you should be
aware of. As an alternative I could email you the information I've collected.
I suspect how well people get on with this lens is a very personal thing.
I'm very pleased with mine.

I'm always amazed at the ability of this lens to show shadow detail, B&W
early night shots can look as if they were taken in daylight complete with
clouds if there is some sky glow. The only give away being light sources in
the picture.

I don't just use this lens exclusively for low light. I find it gives
beautiful luminous results with sunny backlit scenes such as flowers,
woodlands etc. at or near full aperture. You just have to watch you don't
zap the shutter! To me the lens seems to exhibit a relationship between
micro and macro contrast that is difficult to put into words .. if that's
the way to express it. People or animal portraits taken with natural light
at f1/1.2 are very eye catching, in my view good, seems to concentrate on
the essence rather than the detail.. but if you look carefully the detail
is there!

BTW to minimise flare Leica recommend you don't use filters with this lens.

              Bob Parsons  <bobp@dodo.demon.co.uk>