Subject: Re: R8 Construction
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 1997 12:56:33 -0700

At 10:47 AM 6/5/97 -0700, you wrote:
>ted grant wrote:
>>
>> Stephen Gandy wrote:
>>
>> <<A few days ago I was talking to Don Golberg. According to him, the
>> insides of the R8 are poorly executed.  It reminded him of the "East
>> German" workmanship of the Prakticas.>>>>
>>
>> Sorry Stephen that's hogwash and you know it! The camera is working
excellently!
>> Sure they're have been a couple of glitches right at the beginning but
they were
>> quite minor and wasn't an overall condition of many cameras.
>>

>Ted, please read the original quote carefully.  The comment was on the
>R8's INTERNAL CONSTRUCTION quality, NOT the R8's value as a picture
>taker.  Don is widely recognized as one of the best Leica repairmen.
>He's entitled to his opinion, just like you are entitled to yours.
>
>No need to get so emotional.  Its just a camera.
>
>Stephen Gandy

I personally do not believe someone can make a meaningful overall statement
about construction quality without the test of time. The statement "poorly
executed" does not equate to "construction quality." We all know that for a
camera company to be competitive in the 1990's, what they produce must be
EASILY manufacturable and repeatable. EASILY tested. And EASILY repaired.
If not, business will suffer. Leica cannot afford to produce a mediocre
product. The word EASILY equates to profit. Also being an engineer, I have
been involved in product design for many years. The insides of most
consumer products do not have visual esthetics. What's under the wood and
leather in a Rolls is not visual esthetics either. But the words used were
"POORLY EXECUTED." That is truly an off-the-wall statement without a whole
lot of meaning. Perhaps meaningful to the person who made it, but nobody
else. Manufacturable, testable, durable, does not in any way imply a VISUAL
quality (goodly executed.) If, in a few years, R8's are hitting the repair
shops in record numbers, then there is an engineering problem. I suspect
that this will not be the case. Time will tell.

Jim